"Random Writings in Ridiculous Times"

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Admitting and Recognizing "Funk"

I was speaking to my friend last night about where they are in their life and the only thing I could think of that covered what they were saying was "funk". I have to believe that the majority of humans, if willing to admit go through the funk stage in some form or fashion. What's interesting is how you come out of it and who you are when you do.
So, in order to qualify for funk, we must define funk. It doesn't look like anything, smell, talk, eat, (thank god, my kids eat enough in my house!!) but it is a stage isn't it? Age ranges for fun are what? Somewhere between mid 30's to late 40's?
Here's the dictionary definition (hey, maybe you think it's the funk word and it's really something else and you didn't know this because you didn't take the time to look the darn word up!!)
funk1 Audio Help   [fuhngk] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation 
Remember when we were young and we saw adults going through “phases” and other adults referred to them as midlife crises and we always said “that’s an excuse for not wanting to take control of your life” and “I’ll never be like that”. Well step back Nelly, the funk train just arrived and I’m first passenger off!!! (My friend is right behind me….) Yes, the funk exists and it’s a confusing, messy, wanna go away somewhere and hide phase if you get placed in the funk.
So, how do you know if you’re in the funk? We could probably start a list but here are my observations. Now remember, we all experience different funk so don’t think your funk is any better than mine and no matter what, don’t feel any less funkish if your funk doesn’t stand up to mine!
Funk observation #1:
1.)  You don’t want to be around your spouse because all you do is argue (now admit it, you’re probably picking most of the fights…) but when they’re not around, you get made because they’re not spending time with you.
2.)  You want to scream at everyone that you’re not the only one who lives in this house and therefore, you deserve some help with the housework. Then……when they chip in and help or offer to help, you turn into control freak and tell them to leave you alone, you got it and no one could do it better. (Definitely a funk place with this one!!)
3.)  You envision your life without your mate – At this point, we enter the question, regret, do I need medication phase…..No medication is needed (not intended to be medical advice. If you need a pill, go take it by all means). You start the question phase of “why did I marry this person” and “If I get out of this, what would others think” “Crap I went and did it again” (this is for the frequent flyers of relationship breakdown) Regret of losing life, losing yourself, losing time, losing your mind (Remind me later to tell you how I went yesterday to put gas in my already full gas tank!!!) Bottle all this up into one brain that was already is sad shape and you have the makings of major funk on this one.
4.)  Wait for the fight and if it doesn’t come…..provoke it!!! Now don’t sit there and look at me on your high horse saying “Why in the world would you do something so horrible??” You want to know the simple answer? “Because I can and I’m in a funk.” I think at times some people (obviously ones more skilled then I in funk phases) would call this sabotage. I call it “self gratification to justify how I’m feeling because no one can tell me how I’m feeling because I keep changing funk mode.” (Deep breathes now…) What’s interesting on this one is you only have certain targets. This could be a spouse, co-worker, neighbor (be careful with your neighbors, you know they all talk). If you are a fight provoker, you’re possibly in the funk phase.
Ok, so this outlines key things to look for and in no way at all tells you how to get out of the funk or deal with it. (What do I look like, Dear Abby??) No one answer will help you honey, it’s a bunch of things that may or may not work and you may or may not feel better at the end of the day as a result of them.
The good news is, there are funk decreasers. Yes, you heard me…..decrease the funk without totally losing it. (What’s wrong with a partial remedy??)
Next posting we’ll talk about remedies. Before then, I’d like to hear more about your funk….
Tootles!
Theresa
I also noticed that you can be a "funker" but didn't really grasp what this was and honestly, I don't know if I want to be or be in a funker.....I have to think on that one. Maybe on Sunday afternoons I'll go into a "funker" so everyone will leave me alone.....I'll ponder this and get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a random or ridiculous thought for us all to enjoy!!