"Random Writings in Ridiculous Times"

Thursday, July 5, 2012

My Sister & Me...The Watcher & the Dancer

“Of two sisters one is always the watcher, one the dancer.”–Louise Glück
This is a quote I happened upon some time ago that really spoke to me and has really shown to be true in the life of my sister Debbie and me. Debbie is my younger sister, but only by a few years (this becomes more important as you age I'm finding out!) Yesterday was Debbie's birthday, and as usually happens, I wasn't able to be with her to share in her special day because we live several hours apart. Distance doesn't mean that I didn't think about her because I did, throughout the day.

I've come to realize over the years that Debbie and I are much like the poem above. If you asked anyone that knows us, you would probably be told that Debbie is the watcher and I am the dancer. This isn't a seasonal thing or infrequent really, it's actually shown to be the way I feel we've always been.
Deb2 
Debbie is the one who remembers everyones birthdays, sends cards that arrive on or before the special day. Debbie is the one who keeps communication alive between everyone in the family and is quick to step up to arrange events and get togethers. Debbie is consistent in getting things done.....she is a aware of what's going on and doesn't miss a beat. She is a dancer.

I, on the other hand am the "dancer." I contact on special events as often as possible, although, at times, I let the busyness of the day crowd my thoughts and that call needing to be made or the card needing to be mailed can be forgotten. When family is going through things, I stay in touch but I'm not the person who gets communications out to everyone and stays on top of updates. I love attending family events and will gladly pitch in to get things done but I'm not typically the one called on to coordinate the event. I am a dancer.

Debbie's birthday was yesterday and her gift from me hasn't yet left my house. If it were my birthday, I would have opened my card and gift from Debbie already. It may sounds like I'm being a bit harsh on myself but what I'm really trying to share with you is that I have a sister who has traits that I admire and desire to emulate.

Maybe God creates families such as this with each person being different, knowing that placing a person in the middle like Debbie will balance everything out and hold everyone else Deb1 together. he definitely blessed her with strengths which are also my weaknesses.
I have one thing that Debbie doesn't have.....I have a sister named Debbie, a one of a kind sister who blesses my life and so many others. 

She is the one with the birthday but I am the one with the blessing. The dancer is appreciating and loving the watcher...

Happy birthday Debbie.....Happy birthday Sister.....Happy birthday Watcher.....
Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a random or ridiculous thought for us all to enjoy!!