"Random Writings in Ridiculous Times"

Thursday, July 5, 2012

What's The Purpose Of Your Purpose?

We're here for a purpose aren't we? I find it difficult to wrap my thoughts around the concept that some people think we're born, we live and then we die. Can we really look at the miracle of our existence and believe this? We have to be here for a reason, otherwise, what are we hanging around for?

I've asked people on occasion "What's your purpose in life?" Some are quick to answer, sharing why their here, and the significant things their doing in their lives. Too often, many of those "things" involve the size of our house, our bank account and how others view our status." Others tell me that their not sure what their purpose is, thinking that some Divine message will be delivered one day and they'll understand what they need to do to  begin living their purpose.

The answers I really enjoy are from those who jump up exclaiming "Yes! I have a purpose and I'm living it every day!" They then go on to share stories about how much of their past lives were wasted time, living the dream that so many fall victim to. don't get me wrong, creature comforts and feeling secure in being able to provide for family are very important and should be a part of our lives. But that's not what our purpose is suppose to be about is it?

How do you know if you're living your purpose? How about starting out by asking yourself a few simple questions. {Don't lie to yourself....no one is watching!} Think about these questions as a beginning to recognizing if you're living the purpose intended for you:

1.) Am I using my passions as a way to impact others lives?

2.) When i think about the things I do, am I able to say that they positively impact the lives of others or do I think about how much money I'm going to make?

3.) At the end of the day, did my accomplishments benefit me and my banking account or other people?

4.) Do you have any passions or dreams that you're not chasing because you don't have the time or money to chase them?

5.) If your a spiritual person, would God look at you as a faithful servant?
Ok, so how did you do? Feel any guilt? did you think to yourself "ok, I get it, but there's always tomorrow?" Did you breeze through these and end with a smile on your face knowing that you're living the purpose intended for your life? Did a flash go off reminding you that you're in idle and it's time to shift gears?

Our pastor shared last week that too many of us live in idle mode and I can't say i disagree with him on this. In fact, it was one of those times that I know he planned his message knowing I'd be in the audience {he has this power and it drives me crazy!!} But he's right isn't he? we think about what we're really here for, we know in our hearts that there's more to our life and we know our days are numbered but........

But what? so we can have more money in the bank? So we can buy those extra pieces of clothing or that new car or that bigger house? So we can invite friends over to see our "stuff?"

How about we look at the other side of the "bet" for a minute......So we can be away form our children entirely too much? So we can watch our marriages crumble due to lack of attention? So that we can put ourselves further into debt? So that we can miss out on the opportunities to create memories with our families? So that we can miss out on our legacy?

What's the purpose of your purpose if you're not going to live it? Why have a purpose? Why dare to dream? why strengthen relationships? Why Love life? Why live for God?

What gear are you in? Do you know what gear your in? Do you want to change gears? Do you have the guts to change gear?
Care to share? Leave a comment if you know the purpose of your purpose. I'd love to read it! If you don't leave a comment about why. {If you don't care either way, probably not  good idea to leave a comment...}

What's the purpose of your purpose?
Theresa

1 comment:

  1. Hi Theresa,

    Only a few people know about their purpose in life and that because they say that they found it because they are successful to live their daily lives with enthusiasm. The purpose of their purpose? I say that the purpose is to share their gift of happiness to others.

    Great article!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a random or ridiculous thought for us all to enjoy!!