"Random Writings in Ridiculous Times"

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Defining 'Funk"

Hi everyone. It's later then normal for me to post but I did the unthinkable this morning......I didn't get out of bed until 9am!!! I'm usually up by 5:30 on weekends, cleaning, doing laundry, crafting, getting into funk mode in preparation of all those who will wake up after me. Last night, I fell asleep on the couch and didn't go to bed until 5:30 and I LOVED IT!!!

My son was at one end of the couch, my daughter on the floor, husband went to bed at I don't know what time. Once I'm out there is no disturbing me, I become a log and don't want to be bothered. I always regret it the next day, waking with a  stiff neck or my arms asleep from being in awkward positions but it's what i do. And I fall asleep with the television on....learned this from my dad many years ago.  It's a family thang!!!

I was giving thought to what defines a person being in a funk and came up with a few thoughts I'll pass on here. Remember, these are my thoughts, not yours so feel free to disagree. Of course, you'll be wrong but you can disagree none the less...:-)

Funk is a state of mind, body and emotion isn't it? I guess in some ways it can be compared to women at "that time of the month" although it is quite different because it's not defined by the calendar. It's a process to enter funk, not waking up one day and saying to yourself or others (because really, you don't share this with them) "Well, looks like I'm in funk today." It's a gradual thing that once started is so difficult to get out of. When I'm in funk I'm sad, but I don't want to be, I get angry, but I don't really want to be angry, and I don't want to be around other people, although I don't want to be alone.

My insides become confused, I get anxious, sad, angry, confused, and many other things that just cannot be described. I think it's different for all women depending on what stage of your life your in and what's going on with you in relationships and such. It can't be med-life crises (at least for me) because I'm too young. It can't really be because of my husband, because I think I was in funk before I met him in some ways (But he is a contributor in my opinion). It's not my children because I absolutely love and adore them and love being with them (contributors as well). So what brings it on? What makes it stay and then leave?

Funk for me is having too many questions in my head about why I feel the way I do, why I act the way I act and why certain people have such an effect on me. It has the potential to define my day in some ways because if I start out in a funk, I know I'll end my day in one. But deep down in my very inner core, I want to be happy and content and just can't seem to totally get there. Maybe that's what funk is on a high level. Knowing where you are, not being happy and content and feeling like there is no way to get to these things without giving up a part of who you are and what you have in life.
Was there funk in the old days? How did women deal with this? Or did they recognize it and know it was funk?

I think back then they assumed it was a part of life and you just dealt with it. What's that saying? "Suck it up Sally." Maybe we're suppose to just suck it up and is that really right? And why just some women having funk and others not? What's their secret and why isn't it being shared? 
I've been scanning websites and blogs this week that are done by women and I can't believe how many are done in such a fluffy way about kids and families and beauty and hugs and kisses. Do people really have this? Do they really live this way? Why them and not me?

I'm not in funk today. I had family over, had a cookout and plan on finishing my niece's graduation cards tonight (go Vali!!!) I don't want funk around me because I want to get along with everyone around me and be at peace. So does this mean I control funk and when needed create it?

This is scary that i would be capable of this type of behavior. And to share it with people I love? What kind of person does this make me. I'm good people, I know this. Maybe it's just that I'm human and am willing to express it. Maybe I really need a trip to a shrink and some aggressive medication.....(Wonder if they have a diet pill that makes you happy...) wow that would be a seller right? haha

I'm off to ponder this a bit more. please give input if you have some. And if you disagree and find this site to be whiny and pathetic, let me know. I'd love to hear form you and add you to my funk list!!

Suck it up Sally!!!
Tootles!
Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a random or ridiculous thought for us all to enjoy!!